What does the MpSigStub.exe file do?
The MpSigStub.exe process is also known as Microsoft Malware Protection Signature Update Stub and is a part of Microsoft Malware Protection. This software is produced by Microsoft (www.microsoft.com). An obsolete or defective version of MpSigStub.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- MpSigStub.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- MpSigStub.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- MpSigStub.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module MpSigStub.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Take advantage of our Free Computer Check to identify problems with MpSigStub.exe
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about MpSigStub.exe MpSigStub.exe
MpSigStub.exe is not a Windows system file and is known to frequently cause computer problems. The file MpSigStub.exe is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 548,000 bytes (37% of all these files), 592,616 bytes as well as 9 other variants.
The file does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. It is interesting to note that the file is placed in the Windows folder, even though it is not part of the operating system. The file does not contain any exact product information, as would normally be expected today. For this reason, 72% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A MpSigStub.exe file has a 54% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of C:\. In this case, the file size is usually 295,552 bytes (27% of all these files), 247,976 bytes as well as 6 other variants. The MpSigStub file is not part of the Windows operating system. This MpSigStub.exe process does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. This file contains no information about the producer or the version.
- A MpSigStub.exe file has a 4% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. In this case, the file size is usually 247,976 bytes (33% of all these files), 400,040 bytes as well as 4 other variants.
The original file has a digital certificate (see its file properties). The file does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager.
MpSigStub.exe is capable of monitor other applications.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves MpSigStub.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about MpSigStub?
|The Forefront Client Security Antimalware Service updates the anti-malware engine files and the anti-malware definition files without leaving a gap in malware protection. (further information...) |
|It is part of the Windows Automatic Update tool. |
|MpSigStub.exe is a Microsoft installer application used in conjunction with Windows Automatic Updates. It extracts update files to a temporary directory. |
|Microsoft Malware Protection Signature Update Stub (further information...) |
|It is required for Microsoft Windows Defender and I believe it is also needed for Microsoft Malware Removal Tool that is updated monthly. It is not Virus, Malware, Trojan, etc. When detected as such, report it as a false positive. (further information...) |
Summary: 5 users judge MpSigStub.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. One user considers it harmless. However, one user considers this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 2 users have already deleted MpSigStub.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall Microsoft Malware Protection
To remove MpSigStub.exe from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate Microsoft Malware Protection in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if MpSigStub.exe (MpSigStub.exe) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of MpSigStub.exe. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for MpSigStub.exe or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or MpSigStub.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.
Users with an interest in MpSigStub.exe have also been interested in: regsrvc.exe mmc.exe sdfssvc.exe MpSigStub.exe grooveintlresource.dll avgui.exe safemon.dll dateinj01.dll [index]