What does the qttask.exe file do?
The qttask.exe process is also known as QuickTime Task and is a part of QuickTime (Version 7). This software is produced by Apple (www.apple.com). An obsolete or defective version of qttask.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- QuickTime Task has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- QuickTime Task has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- qttask.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module qttask.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about qttask.exe QuickTime Task
qttask.exe is not a Windows system file and is known to frequently cause computer problems. Qttask.exe is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files".
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 421,888 bytes (76% of all these files), 77,824 bytes as well as 6 other variants.
This process is recognizable as a window and also on the taskbar. The qttask file is no part of Microsoft Windows. This qttask.exe process is initiated as part of Windows start-up (Registry: MACHINE\Run, Run). You can use Windows Control Panel (Programs icon) to completely remove the software. Qttask.exe is capable of track other applications. For this reason, 16% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A qttask.exe file has a 77% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows. In this case, the file size is usually 28,672 bytes (83% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 98,304 bytes. This qttask.exe process does not appear as a visible window, but only in Task Manager. This file was developed by a so-called third party provider - and not by Microsoft. Windows starts the process each time that the computer boots up (Registry: MACHINE\Run, Run). File properties have not been internally documented by the producer or developer. Qttask.exe can be found in the Windows folder; however, it is not a Windows system file. Qttask.exe is capable of track other applications.
- A qttask.exe file has a 80% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. In this case, the file size is usually 28,672 bytes. When Windows starts, this process is automatically started at the same time (Registry: MACHINE\Run, Run). The qttask file is not part of the Windows operating system. This particular software does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. The file is not a Windows system file, but it is nontheless located in the C:\Windows folder. This file contains no information about the producer or the version.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves qttask.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about qttask?
|Quick Time Video Tray Icon |
|Used to Automatically Launch Quicktime Window When a .Mov Is clicked on in Web Site |
|it is a hijacker on some computers (further information...) |
Summary: 57 users judge qttask.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. 10 users consider it harmless. However, 27 users consider this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 42 users have already deleted qttask.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall QuickTime
To remove QuickTime Task from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate QuickTime in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if qttask.exe (QuickTime Task) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of QuickTime Task. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for QuickTime Task or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or qttask.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.