What does the PnkBstrA.exe file do?
The PnkBstrA.exe process is also known as PunkBuster™ Service Component (A) or, as the case may be, Medal of Honor Airborne and is a part of PnkBstrA. This software is produced by Even Balance (www.evenbalance.com). An obsolete or defective version of PnkBstrA.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- PunkBuster service Component has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- PunkBuster service Component has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- PnkBstrA.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (Windows XP)
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module PnkBstrA.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about PnkBstrA.exe PunkBuster service Component
PnkBstrA.exe is not part of Windows, but it is important nonetheless. PnkBstrA.exe is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 76,888 bytes (46% of all these files), 75,136 bytes, 66,872 bytes, 75,064 bytes or, as the case may be, 76,152 bytes.
It is the service "PnkBstrA".
PnkBstrA.exe does not supply any version information or other description. This PnkBstrA program does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. The producer of the file is registered with a certificate authority. This confirms the genuineness of the file. This file is no part of Microsoft Windows. The file possesses a digital signature from Verisign.com, which should confirm its trustworthiness. PnkBstrA.exe is capable of monitor other applications. For this reason, 36% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A PnkBstrA.exe file has a 45% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. In this case, the file size is usually 76,888 bytes (34% of all these files), 66,872 bytes as well as 5 other variants. The file does not contain any exact product information, as would normally be expected today. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. The file is no part of Microsoft Windows. The original file has a digital certificate (see its file properties). PnkBstrA.exe possesses a digital signature from Verisign.com, which should confirm its trustworthiness. This PnkBstrA.exe process is connected to a server on the Internet or in your local network. PnkBstrA.exe is capable of track other applications.
- A PnkBstrA.exe file has a 56% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files". In this case, the file size is usually 63,040 bytes (66% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 323,584 bytes.
The file has none of the usual file information, such as version number, etc. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. The file does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. The file possesses a digital signature from Verisign.com, which should confirm its trustworthiness. The PnkBstrA file has a digital signature. This confirms that the producer has been registered with a certificate authority. This particular software is connected to a server on the Internet or in your local network.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves PnkBstrA.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about PnkBstrA?
|i think it punkbuster for games, but it starts on windows? |
|it is a game anti cheat, but it is not needed if the game is not running and they can use it as spyware |
|punkbuster an antcheat program when playing online games |
|America's Army |
|I belive this is the Punkbuster application for online games, to prevent cheating. If you do not have one of those games installed, it could be Spyware. |
Summary: 79 users judge PnkBstrA.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. 18 users consider it harmless. However, 13 users consider this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 12 users have already deleted PnkBstrA.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall PnkBstrA
To remove PunkBuster service Component from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate PnkBstrA in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if PnkBstrA.exe (PunkBuster service Component) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of PunkBuster service Component. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for PunkBuster service Component or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or PnkBstrA.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.