What does the cthelper.exe file do?
The cthelper.exe process is also known as CtHelper Application or, as the case may be, CtHelper MFC Application and is a part of CtHelper Application or, as the case may be, Dell PremierColor. This software is produced by Creative Technology (www.creative.com) or, as the case may be, PORTRAIT DISPLAYS, INC. An obsolete or defective version of cthelper.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- CtHelper Application has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- CtHelper Application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- cthelper.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module cthelper.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Take advantage of our Free Computer Check to identify problems with cthelper.exe
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about cthelper.exe CtHelper Application
cthelper.exe is not a Windows system file and is known to frequently cause computer problems. Cthelper.exe is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 19,456 bytes (53% of all these files), 24,576 bytes, 28,672 bytes, 23,040 bytes or, as the case may be, 40,960 bytes.
It does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. This cthelper.exe process is initiated as part of Windows start-up (Registry: MACHINE\Run). This particular software does not appear as a visible window, but only in Task Manager. It is interesting to note that the file is placed in the Windows folder, even though it is not part of the operating system. Cthelper.exe is capable of track other applications. For this reason, 50% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A cthelper.exe file has a 59% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows directory. In this case, the file size is usually 16,384 bytes (80% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 17,920 bytes. The cthelper file can be found in the Windows folder; however, it is not a Windows system file. The application does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. The file is no part of Microsoft Windows. When Windows starts, this process is automatically started at the same time (Registry: MACHINE\Run). Cthelper.exe is capable of monitor other applications.
- A cthelper.exe file has a 29% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows. In this case, the file size is usually 19,456 bytes (81% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 15,872 bytes. This cthelper program does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. This file is no part of Microsoft Windows. This file contains Microsoft's digital signature. This confirms its authenticity. Cthelper.exe is capable of supervise programs.
- A cthelper.exe file has a 32% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files". In this case, the file size is usually 273,136 bytes.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves cthelper.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about cthelper?
|should be some stuff the soundblaster needs |
|Background task that works as a plug-in manager for Creative drivers. It helps the third party manufacturers to produce drivers, add-on features, and fixes that will integrate with a tighter fit with Creative sound drivers and utilities. |
|Hogging up my CPU last night. Very Annoying. Couldn't use my machine. Windows XP Professional. (further information...) |
Summary: 77 users judge cthelper.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. 15 users consider it harmless. However, 13 users consider this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 23 users have already deleted cthelper.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall CtHelper Application or Dell PremierColor
To remove CtHelper Application from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate CtHelper Application or Dell PremierColor in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if cthelper.exe (CtHelper Application) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of CtHelper Application. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for CtHelper Application or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or cthelper.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.
Users with an interest in cthelper.exe have also been interested in: acdaemon.exe privoxy.exe acengsvr.exe cthelper.exe update.exe reader_sl.exe genericasktoolbar.dll rpcnet.exe [index]