How to get rid of the winupd VirusSometimes the winupd file may cloak a virus, such as Microsoft found Worm:Win32/Rebhip or, as the case may be, Trojan:Win64/Alureon, as well as Symantec found Trojan.Gen.2. If your anti-virus software does not detect a virus, try using a supplementary free Anti-Malware scanner.
Other problems with winupd.exe
The winupd.exe process is also known as Prof Chafe Cent and is a part of Kid Abm Bulbs. This software is produced by AVM GmbH (www.avm.de). An obsolete or defective version of winupd.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- Prof Chafe Cent has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- Prof Chafe Cent has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- winupd.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (Windows XP)
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module winupd.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about winupd.exe Prof Chafe Cent
winupd.exe is not a Windows system file and is known to frequently cause computer problems. The file winupd.exe is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files".
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 117,760 bytes (50% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 13,179,660 bytes.
There is no embedded description in this file. These days, this is rather unusual This particular software is initiated as part of Windows start-up (Registry: Run, User Shell Folders, MACHINE\Run, DEFAULT\Run). The winupd file does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. For this reason, 55% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A winupd.exe file has a 74% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the Windows Temp directory. In this case, the file size is usually 116,736 bytes. The file has none of the usual file information, such as version number, etc. This process does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. Windows starts the process each time that the computer boots up (Registry: Run, User Shell Folders, MACHINE\Run, DEFAULT\Run). The winupd file is no part of Microsoft Windows.
- A winupd.exe file has a 36% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows. In this case, the file size is usually 123,392 bytes. The application is recognizable as a window and also on the taskbar. Winupd.exe does not supply any version information or other description. Windows starts the process each time that the computer boots up (Registry: Run, User Shell Folders, MACHINE\Run, DEFAULT\Run). It was developed by a so-called third party provider - and not by Microsoft.
- A winupd.exe file has a 64% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Users\USERNAME". In this case, the file size is usually 363,520 bytes.
Attention: If you find winupd.exe on your computer, please scan it with an anti-virus product. If your anti-virus software does not recognize it as being harmful, then please make sure that you have the latest update of the signature file, or check the file online. For this option, you may want to use Security Task Manager. Here, click on the process with the right mouse button and send the file to an online virus scanner.
What do other computer users say about winupd?
|Update program for the program Avanza Vikingen , a stock analysis program |
|remane file and add .avi. It then becomes an AVI file. I have used this method for a month or so with no ill effects and no pain in the butt popups. |
|If is in temp, then remove! It has a lock-key icon! It's spyware/virus. |
Summary: One user considers it harmless. For this reason, 2 users have already deleted winupd.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall Kid Abm Bulbs
To remove Prof Chafe Cent from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate Kid Abm Bulbs in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if winupd.exe (Prof Chafe Cent) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of Prof Chafe Cent. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for Prof Chafe Cent or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or winupd.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.