What does the plugin-container.exe file do?
The plugin-container.exe process is also known as Plugin Container for Firefox or, as the case may be, Plugin Container for Palemoon and is a part of Mozilla Firefox or, as the case may be, FoxyTunes for Firefox. This software is produced by Mozilla (www.mozilla.org). An obsolete or defective version of plugin-container.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- plugin-container.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (Windows XP)
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module plugin-container.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about plugin-container.exe Plugin Container for Firefox
plugin-container.exe is not part of Windows, but it is important nonetheless. The file plugin-container.exe is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files" or sometimes in a subdirectory of C:\.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 16,856 bytes (43% of all these files), 14,808 bytes as well as 28 other variants.
This plugin-container.exe process does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. It is no part of Microsoft Windows. The original file has been signed by a trusted signature authority. This lets you check your copy to see if it is a counterfeit. For this reason, 37% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A plugin-container.exe file has a 39% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Users\USERNAME". In this case, the file size is usually 16,856 bytes (60% of all these files), 16,864 bytes or, as the case may be, 18,544 bytes. This particular software does not appear as a visible window, but only in Task Manager. The original file has a digital certificate (see its file properties). It is no part of Microsoft Windows.
- A plugin-container.exe file has a 36% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in in a subdirectory of the "My Documents" folder. In this case, the file size is usually 16,864 bytes. The application does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. The original file has a digital certificate (see its file properties). The plugin-container file is not part of the Windows operating system.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves plugin-container.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about plugin-container?
The file spreads very slowly and does not often make an appearance. Therefore, feedback from other users is not yet available.
Summary: source: file.net
How to uninstall Mozilla Firefox or FoxyTunes for Firefox
To remove Plugin Container for Firefox from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. In Windows 8, look for Control Panel.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Look for Mozilla Firefox or FoxyTunes for Firefox in the list of available programs.
- Click Uninstall.
How to tell if plugin-container.exe (Plugin Container for Firefox) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of Plugin Container for Firefox. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for Plugin Container for Firefox or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or plugin-container.exe is causing problems for you, a good Registry Cleaner may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.
Users with an interest in plugin-container.exe have also been interested in: services.exe applemobiledeviceservice.exe taskeng.exe plugin-container.exe acs.exe spoolsv.exe iadhide5.dll wlanext.exe [index]