What does the o2flash.exe file do?
The o2flash.exe process is also known as O2 Flash Memory Service or, as the case may be, O2Micro Flash Memory Card Windows Driver (Version V2.04, V2.07) and is a part of O2 MS1/MP1 Service or, as the case may be, O2 Flash Memory Service. This software is produced by O2Micro International (www.o2micro.com). An obsolete or defective version of o2flash.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- O2 Flash Memory service has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- O2 Flash Memory service has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- o2flash.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (Windows XP)
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module o2flash.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about o2flash.exe O2 Flash Memory service
o2flash.exe is not a Windows system file and is known to frequently cause computer problems. The file o2flash.exe is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 36,864 bytes (87% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 57,344 bytes.
This process does not appear as a visible window, but only in Task Manager. The file was developed by a so-called third party provider - and not by Microsoft. The o2flash file has none of the usual file information, such as version number, etc. The file can be found in the Windows folder; however, it is not a Windows system file. For this reason, 61% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A o2flash.exe file has a 28% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files". In this case, the file size is usually 65,536 bytes (90% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 71,512 bytes. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. This file was developed by a so-called third party provider - and not by Microsoft. To remove the file and its related software from your computer, click Programs in Control Panel
- A o2flash.exe file has a 0% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. In this case, the file size is usually 72,296 bytes (75% of all these files), 65,536 bytes or, as the case may be, 82,096 bytes. O2flash.exe contains Microsoft's digital signature. This confirms its authenticity. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. This file does not come from Microsoft and is not part of the operating system. The original file is digitally signed. Check your file. The producer of the file is registered with a certificate authority. This confirms the genuineness of the file.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves o2flash.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about o2flash?
|seems related to either usb power for charging while computer is off, or other system componenet -- from company that does this stuff, saw it on my Toshiba |
|I think it was the file installed by a driver update from dell.com. It has something to do with my laptop's SD card reader. (further information...) |
|On some laptops and desktops with integrated media card readers o2flash.exe is the driver for the reader |
I hate this driver
|it came with installing drivers for card reader - dell laptop - drivers from manufactuer |
|Came with Dell M4700 Laptop with Flash Reader |
Summary: 3 users consider it harmless. source: file.net
How to uninstall O2 MS1/MP1 Service or O2 Flash Memory Service
To remove O2 Flash Memory service from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate O2 MS1/MP1 Service or O2 Flash Memory Service in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if o2flash.exe (O2 Flash Memory service) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of O2 Flash Memory service. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for O2 Flash Memory service or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or o2flash.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.