What does the igfxTray.exe file do?
The igfxTray.exe process is also known as igfxTray Module or, as the case may be, 2f6aB53KyjHTL and is a part of Intel® Common User Interface or, as the case may be, Intel® LDDM Ultra Mobile Media. This software is produced by Intel (www.intel.com) or, as the case may be, TrueCrypt Foundation (www.truecrypt.org). An obsolete or defective version of igfxTray.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- igfxTray Module has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- igfxTray Module has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- igfxTray.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (Windows XP)
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module igfxTray.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about igfxTray.exe igfxTray Module
igfxTray.exe is not part of Windows, but it is important nonetheless. The file igfxTray.exe is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 155,648 bytes (32% of all these files), 94,208 bytes as well as 55 other variants.
This igfxTray.exe process is recognizable as a window and also on the taskbar. IgfxTray.exe is no part of Microsoft Windows. It contains Microsoft's digital signature. This confirms its authenticity. When Windows starts, this process is automatically started at the same time (Registry: MACHINE\Run, User Shell Folders, Run). For this reason, 5% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A igfxTray.exe file has a 36% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in the Windows Temp directory. In this case, the file size is usually 757,760 bytes. The program appears as a window on the desktop. The igfxTray file does not supply any version information or other description. When Windows starts, this process is automatically started at the same time (Registry: MACHINE\Run, User Shell Folders, Run). The igfxTray file is not part of the Windows operating system. igfxTray.exe appears to be a file that was compressed by an EXE-Packer. This technique is often used by trojans to keep the file size small and also hamper debugging efforts. However, this in itself is not sufficient reason to presume malicious intent, since even well-intentioned, professional software producers take advantage of compressed files.
- A igfxTray.exe file has a 46% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files". In this case, the file size is usually 383 bytes. The application has a visible window, and can be closed by clicking the red X button.. File properties have not been internally documented by the producer or developer. Windows starts the process each time that the computer boots up (Registry: MACHINE\Run, User Shell Folders, Run). The igfxTray file is no part of Microsoft Windows. igfxTray.exe appears to be a file that was compressed by an EXE-Packer. This technique is often used by trojans to keep the file size small and also hamper debugging efforts. However, this in itself is not sufficient reason to presume malicious intent, since even well-intentioned, professional software producers take advantage of compressed files.
- A igfxTray.exe file has a 76% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Users\USERNAME". In this case, the file size is usually 165,376 bytes.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves igfxTray.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about igfxTray?
|Intel Integrated Display Adapter component -- System Tray Applet facilitating display adjustments |
Vic Van Vroom
|Shows a tray icon of your intel graphics driver |
|Intel Graphics Driver |
|Has to do with an Intel Display Adapter, harmless |
|Morons just remove it, it is unecessary. |
Summary: 58 users judge igfxTray.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. 3 users consider it harmless. However, 5 users consider this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 10 users have already deleted igfxTray.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall Intel® Common User Interface or Intel® LDDM Ultra Mobile Media
To remove igfxTray Module from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. In Windows 8, look for Control Panel.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Look for Intel® Common User Interface or Intel® LDDM Ultra Mobile Media in the list of available programs.
- Click Uninstall.
How to tell if igfxTray.exe (igfxTray Module) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of igfxTray Module. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for igfxTray Module or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or igfxTray.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.