What does the ctfmon.exe file do?
The ctfmon.exe process is also known as CTF Loader or, as the case may be, Dummy to replace the annoying CTFMON.EXE and is a part of Microsoft Windows Operating System or, as the case may be, Dummy CTFMON.EXE (part of the CTFMON-Remover). This software is produced by Microsoft (www.microsoft.com) or, as the case may be, Gerhard Schlager. An obsolete or defective version of ctfmon.exe can cause problems for your computer that can range from slowness to error messages such as these:
- CTF Loader has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- CTF Loader has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- ctfmon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- Access violation at address FFFFFFFF in module ctfmon.exe. Read of address 00000000.
Free PC Check
Scan your computer today at no charge with the Windows Repair Tool. This tool helps repair Windows and helps it run faster.
What you should know about ctfmon.exe CTF Loader
The original ctfmon.exe file is definitely a Windows system file, but many viruses use the same name in order to remain unnoticed. The file ctfmon.exe is found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
Frequently occurring are file sizes such as 15,360 bytes (68% of all these files), 9,728 bytes as well as 16 other variants.
This ctfmon.exe process does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. To verify its trustworthiness, Microsoft has provided it with an embedded certificate. Windows starts the process each time that the computer boots up (Registry: Run, DEFAULT\Run, RunOnce). For this reason, 21% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high.
- A ctfmon.exe file has a 3% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of C:\Windows. In this case, the file size is usually 8,704 bytes (68% of all these files), 9,728 bytes, 10,752 bytes or, as the case may be, 10,240 bytes. Ctfmon.exe is a Windows system file. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. The original file by Microsoft is digitally signed. So please check the file on your computer.
- A ctfmon.exe file has a 48% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files". In this case, the file size is usually 53,248 bytes (50% of all these files) or, as the case may be, 8,704 bytes. The program executes in the background, and can only be terminated using Windows Task Manager. It was developed by a so-called third party provider - and not by Microsoft.
- A ctfmon.exe file has a 46% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in in a subdirectory of the "My Documents" folder. In this case, the file size is usually 45,056 bytes.
- A ctfmon.exe file has a 56% certainty of being dangerous if it is found in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files\Public Documents". In this case, the file size is usually 368,640 bytes.
If you see this file on your hard drive or in Windows Task Manager, please make sure that it is not a malicious variant. It's a fact that many trojans try to cloak their true identity by calling themselves ctfmon.exe. With the above information or by using tools like Security Task Manager you can determine if, in your case, the file is an undesirable variant.
What do other computer users say about ctfmon?
|Ctfmon.exe activates the Microsoft Office Language Bar and the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor. |
|it was a virus on my machine. I found it outside the windows/system32 folder |
|Unless you use the language bar, get rid of it. Even when located in the proper folder, it causes internet connectivity problems. The Microsoft site details their preferred "blanking" procedure. However, I removed it outright and experienced NO instability (unless the absence of the language bar can be considered instability). This immediately cleared up numerous connectivity problems. Microsoft's attitude is wholly unacceptable: having garbageware running all the time just "because" is piss-poor practice, as well as being highly suspicious. Somebody should have a look under the hood to see what this piece of crap is really doing. Since it runs even when nothing related to the language bar is concerned, it has more than one purpose, and one that Microsoft doesn't want to give up - or reveal to the public. (further information...) |
Summary: 167 users judge ctfmon.exe to be an essential file that should not be touched. 22 users consider it harmless. However, 73 users consider this to be a suspicious process and would like to get rid of it. For this reason, 94 users have already deleted ctfmon.exe. source: file.net
How to uninstall the program or Dummy CTFMON.EXE
To remove CTF Loader from your computer, please follow the manual instructions below or use an automatic uninstaller product.
- Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
- Type the word uninstall.
- Click Add or remove programs.
- Now locate the program or Dummy CTFMON.EXE in the list of displayed applications.
- Click the program, and then click Uninstall.
How to tell if ctfmon.exe (CTF Loader) was uninstalled cleanly
After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of CTF Loader. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for CTF Loader or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.
What to do if a program does not uninstall
The easiest way to remove any kind of software cleanly and accurately is to use an uninstaller tool. Because the uninstaller automatically creates a backup, there is no risk of anything going wrong.
Last but not least
If Windows not working quite right for you, or if startup is taking a long time, or ctfmon.exe is causing problems for you, a good Windows diagnostic tool may very well help. This is especially effective when it comes to older computers that have accumulated vast quantities of "garbage data" as the result of many software installs and uninstalls.